[mythtv-users] network drive for music

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) glandix at lloydnet.org
Thu May 5 18:04:34 UTC 2005

Gavin Haslett wrote:
> My solution? UNIX Services for Windows... which I already had installed.  It was free anyway. Well, I set up my MP3's as an NFS share instead,
and put an entry in my /etc/fstab to mount it (soft) on boot. Since I
was also upgrading to 0.18 and didn't have any significant recordings I
trashed the database and allowed it a clean rebuild. Well, it all came
up and running the catalog of MP3's was at least twice as fast if not
better.

yeah, my file server was running slackware-current w/ samba (for my win
desktop i need for the adobe apps), so i figured i'd just use SMB for
myth, too ... now i'm using NFS instead and get MUCH better performance
(scanning for new mp3s actually finishes now :p) ... also, iirc, there
are some limits on file size with SMB that don't exist for NFS, but i'm
not positive ... i know i had issues ripping straight (perfect-quality)
DVDs to a SMB share ... haven't tried it yet w/ the NFS export yet ...

> I'm a firm believer in using UNIX protocols on a UNIX-like operating system wherever possible. They tend to be better supported and standards based. Plus I found the Windows Services for UNIX were excellent.

exactly ... besides, SMB/CIFS was/is microsoft's protocol of choice ...
doesn't that say something?  "use anything else" :P ... it definitely
has more overhead and can be slower than NFS ... plus, you can do some
neat/interesting things with symbolic links .. ie: have /nfs_share/tmp
symlinked to /local_drive/tmp so when you browse to /nfs_share/tmp
you're actually browsing /local_drive/tmp ... i needed that w/ my old
(pre-dedicated backend server) setup, but couldn't do it w/ samba

-g-