[mythtv-users] PVR-250 composite sound OK, No sound on tuner!

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 5 17:43:47 UTC 2005

Dave Pearson wrote:

>I have a PVR-250, which is working perfectly for the composite-0 input, I get
>a very good picture and good sound. Unfortunately I cannot get any sound out
>of the tuner-0 input, only a (good) picture.
>This is what my modprobe.conf in Mandrake 10.1 looks like:
>#for ivtv
>alias char-major-81-* videodev
>alias char-major-81-0 ivtv

Good.

>options ivtv ivtv_debug=1
>options tuner type=1 pal=1
>options saa7127 enable_output output_select=0 pal=1
>options msp3400 once=0 simpler=1 simple=0 standard=0xa

Assuming you're using IvyTV 0.2.0rc or above, get rid of all of these.
You're probably telling IvyTV to use the wrong configuration--instead of
autodetecting the correct configuration.  IvyTV is happy to follow your
instructions--even if they're wrong--so make sure you know for sure that
the autoconfiguration chooses the wrong options before you start
overriding it.

>install ivtv { /sbin/modprobe msp3400; /sbin/modprobe saa7115; /sbin/modprobe
>tuner; } ; /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install ivtv &&
>{ /sbin/modprobe lirc_dev; /sbin/modprobe lirc_i2c; /bin/true; }

Get rid of this.  When you install ivtv (with modprobe ivtv--not with
insmod ivtv), the driver takes care of loading all modules on which it
depends.  Loading modules in the wrong order causes problems, so let the
driver do it for you.  If you want to ensure that lirc is installed with
ivtv, at least get rid of the msp3400 and saa7115 and tuner stuff.  If
you want to get fancy, create an install line for LIRC that pre-installs
ivtv before installing LIRC.

>remove ivtv { /sbin/modprobe -r lirc_dev; /sbin/modprobe -r
>lirc_i2c; } ; /sbin/modprobe -r --first-time --ignore-remove ivtv &&
>{ /sbin/modprobe -r msp3400; /sbin/modprobe -r saa7115; /sbin/modprobe -r
>tuner; /bin/true; }

This is fine.

HTH.
Mike