[mythtv-users] Pundit-r TV-out

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu May 5 14:37:36 UTC 2005

On 5/5/05, Marcel Janssen <korgull at home.nl> wrote:
> On Thursday 05 May 2005 02:16, Marcel Janssen wrote:
> > 2) the ATI latest drivers don't compile for me somehow (FC3). Is there any
> > good documentation to make it work or better to not use them ?
>
> OK, got the ATI drivers to work (or at least loading :-))
>
> I've managed to get TV-out, but the image isn't correct. Tried dozens of PAL
> modelines but none of them work. The best I get is 640x480 and this gives me
> about 3 times the image on my TV. Colours are correct, just the image is
> displayed about 3 times in vertical direction, so squashed. Horizontal seems
> fine.
>
> Any idea how to get the modeline correct ?

Welcome to the Pundit-R TV-out pain ...

The ATI drviers still contain a PLL register error (giving the triple
image) which means that TV-out does not work properly for the 9100IGP
Radeon chip (that the Pundit-R annoyuingly has).

Probably the best source of info for getting it to work can be found
in the Rage3d forums here:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=88

Essentially, there are patches for the kernel source when installing
the ATI drivers (>=2.6.11) - the drivers installed fine on my 2.6.10
kernel using FC2 and Xorg 6.7; and there are details of the binary
hack to the driver file to correct the PLL issue. I have mean assured
that ATI are aware of the problem so hopefully (although seemingly
unlikely as they've known about the issue for months ...) the next
driver release will both fix this and include support for the newer
kernels without needing patches.

The old 'hack' was to install the 3.12 drivers and hack the binary,
but a kind user on Rage3d posted details that work on the latest
drivers (for both Xorg 6.7 and 6.8) which I how I got mine working.

>From t0p0 on rage3d:

"The sync problem still exists for driver version 8.12.10
The patch confirmed to work on xfree86 4.3 and x.org 6.8 is:
Change the 0x2C with 0x19 at offset 0x15788 in file fglrx_drv.o"

If you are after a cheap GFX card with TV, try a GeForce MX440 based
card, they're very popular amonst myth users I think.

HTH,
Nick

(Running MythTV on a Pundit-R, FC2, Xorg 6.7, ATI driver 8.12.10, and
working TV-Out @ 800x600)