[mythtv-users] Aspect ratio (16:9 anamorphic)

Richard Garnish rabies at meep.org
Thu May 5 13:08:57 UTC 2005

I'm not sure whether this belongs here or if I should take it to the
developers' list.  I have been setting up a VIA EPIA MII with MythTv,
using a Hauppauge DVB-T tuner card (receiving UK Freeview DTT), and the
EPIA's Svideo output (720x576 PAL) connected to a 16:9 PAL TV.  My
DisplaySize in xorg.conf is set to "400 225".  The channels coming from
the DVB-T card are in 16:9 anamorphic format, as I would expect, and
display correctly on the TV in Wide mode.  The UI, however, seems to
assume that pixels are always square, so all text is squashed, and
plugins like mythweather (haven't given mythgallery any images to test
yet) make no attempt to scale images to display correctly.

Changing the DisplaySize option does seem to have an effect on text
size, but not on proportions.  I can fix some of the text issues by
changing to font to a naturally condensed font (like Arial Narrow) but
that won't fix graphics.

Is there a magic option I have not found yet, or does the UI always
assume that pixels are square?  If so, then that assumption is never
right as long as you are driving a TV at normal PAL or NTSC resolutions
- even in 4:3, pixels are not quite square.

Richard

p.s. I've just subscribed to the list, and I notice that messages from
quite a few senders arrive in my inbox without any body text (e.g. any
messages from Axel Thimm or Micah Galizia.)  I think the common property
is that they contain multipart/signed content.  Obviously other people
are getting the body because they are following up to these messages.
Any suggestions?