[mythtv-users] P4 HyperThreading SMP Kernel and HDTV playback

Xiaotian Sun sun.xiaotian at gmail.com
Thu May 5 06:02:57 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have a P4 3.0E GHz CPU in the Pundit-R.  It's running the latest
2.6.11 smp kernel from FC3.  When I try to play HDTV, the CPU usage
for mythfrontend is >97%.  However the total CPU usage is only around
75%.  The playback quanlity is really bad, even worse than my other
computer, a P4 2.4 GHz running 2.6.10 non-smp FC3 kernel.

Now my question is whether it's a good idea to use smp kernel.  I
don't know much about this HyperThreading business and how well the
linux smp kernel supports it.  But isn't it the case that mythfrontend
can only use "half" of the CPU power?  Or is there a special
mythtv-suite from ATrpm that is specifically for smp kernels?  I
installed my mythtv by apt-get mythtv-suite.

Thanks,

Xiaotian