[mythtv-users] Setting up USB MCE remote in LIRC?

David Sims dl.sims at comcast.net
Thu May 5 01:45:10 UTC 2005

Hi Lee,

Sounds like you're making progress.  For MythTV to work with LIRC,
you'll have to have the appropriate lircrc file in the ~/.mythtv
directory.  Notice the filename is "lircrc" and not ".lircrc" (no dot
in front).  That's the lircrc file that maps your remote buttons to
MythTV commands.  In addition, for lirc to work with the external
applications launched by mythfrontend like mplayer, you will need the
lirc configuration for those applications in the correct place.  Which
I believe is typically ~/.lircrc (notice that one does have the dot in
front).

A couple things I can think of off hand to check if things still don't
work:
1. Check the lircd log file as you start mythfrontend to make sure it's
getting a client connection when mythfrontend starts
2. Verify the button names displayed by irw match exactly the button
names in ~/.mythtv/lircrc

I've never used KnoppMyth before so I'm not sure how to configure lirc
to autostart on it.  Using FC3 we've put it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

	/usr/local/sbin/lircd -L /var/log/lircd
	/usr/local/bin/irexec -d

I suspect you could do the same on Knopp.

- David