[mythtv-users] Re: mythtv-users Digest, Vol 28, Issue 21

Christopher David Petersen christopher.david.petersen at gmail.com
Wed May 4 21:34:49 UTC 2005

On 5/4/05, Dennis Lou <dlou99 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > The project I'd really like to produce is a
> >solder-free parallel port LED
> >kit. I can almost do it with an old DB25 serial
> >port header (from old
> >386/486 computers) and LEDs with integrated
> >resistors. But finding suitable
> >LEDs with integrated resistors is
> >difficult (ie. not as easy as a walk to
> >the local RadioShack).
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Weren't the control lines on the original PC/XT
> parallel ports open collector? I don't know
> if modern parallel ports are different, but if
> it's the same situation you could
> just jam a standard resistor in there (brightness
> will be limited by the pullup resistor, though).
>
> -Dennis

  Yes. I just wanted a solution where a person could jam a LED (with
integrated resistor) into pins 2 (data bit 1) and 18 (ground) of a female
ribbon cable connected to the parallel port. With a separate resistor and
LED, some permanant connection (soldering, although twist and tape might
work) is required. An integrated resistor LED solves this problem. Jam 8 of
these LEDs into pin 2-9 connected to pins 18-25 and you've got a solder-free
LED solution. Apply a little epoxy to prevent shifting (and shorting) and
you're all set.
 --
Christopher David Petersen