[mythtv-users] is there a simple recording status light avaliable?

Christopher David Petersen christopher.david.petersen at gmail.com
Wed May 4 20:04:48 UTC 2005

On 5/4/05, David George <david at thegeorges.us> wrote:

> On 5/4/2005 1:47 PM, Christopher David Petersen wrote:
>
> [snip]

> developer. Basically, the software runs as root on all your backends.
>
> Sounds nice, but why does it need to run on each backend?

 Actually, it doesn't. Just on systems where you want to monitor something.
It's a more generic solution that can be used for more than just MythTV. The
code will eventually allow people to write simple plug-ins to monitor
whatever their hearts desire.

> The program gets its settings from 4 new tables (which will soon be
> > controlled via MythWeb), and stores the results of it's analysis
> > in another new table (the led_status table).
>
> Why would you need new database tables. I haven't looked into the job
> status, but all the other things are easily retrieved through the
> backend protocol. The guide data status has been in there since Isaac
> accepted my patch adding it to the backend server.

 All the new tables except one, hold configuration data for the various
things you want to monitor. The other table holds the results of all the
analysis.

> The program can also be run on a front-end, where it reads the status
> > information from the status table and controls the 8 LEDs connected to
> > the parallel port. The hardware costs about $10 at RadioShack, and the
> > software is free.
> >
> > I currently have MythLEDd running on my combined backend/frontend
> > controlling 3 LEDs. Red means tuner one is recording, green means the
> > machine is either transcoding or commercial flagging, blinking yellow
> > means low disk space, and solid yellow means low EPG data.
>
> Hmm, same here. Actually I use bicolor LEDs for each of the 8 tuners
> (green=tuner available but not recording, red=tuner recording, off=no
> tuner or tuner error), and have a system status light that comes on if
> guide data < 7 days or will flash on low disk space or guide data < 3
> days. I almost forgot, there is also a buzzer inside that will start
> beeping if communications with the backend are lost. The tuner LEDs do
> support tuners on slave backends.

  Your solution looks beautiful. But seems beyond my target budget (<$10)
and diffently beyond my soldering skills. The parallel port, resistor, LED
solution is supper easy and cheap.

Check out the link in my sig for pictures of the LEDs and the source
> code for the monitor program which runs on the frontend (and doesn't
> require any database or backend changes).

  This is a really nice looking box! I wish I weren't cheap :)

Of course, the OP was asking for something simple... oops :-)