[mythtv-users] Nvidia picture size (SVIDEO)

Mark Howells mark.howells at gmail.com
Wed May 4 19:18:55 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm starting to make progress now with my mythtv box :)  So much so
that I've been using it on my TV - even watched a movie last night.
Anyhow,  the TV image is small and whatever I do to try and change it
appears to have no effect.  The basic X screen appears as 4:3 (or so
it seems) and seems to fill the screen vertically.  It's a widescreen
TV so I expect black borders down the side.  However, when I switch to
watch TV (or a recording playback) I get a widescreen image
letterboxed into the 4:3.  None of the settings I have tried appear to
make any difference.  I seem to be so near yet so far.

I have tried using the overscan facility within Mythtv (0.18) but
settings higher that 20 cause picture corruption and still don't
change the size of the image.

I'm using a Geforce MX4000 and driving the TV via SVIDEO.  The picture
quality seems OK for LiveTV but really grainy and flimmery
(interlaced?) for text and the X windows herringbone background.

I've been googling like donkey on drugs but haven't found anything
that makes _any_ difference to what I see on the screen.

Any help would be appreciated.  I've enclosed relevant sections of my xorg.conf

Cheers

Mark

---- xorg.conf ----

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "geforce mx4000"
    Driver      "nvidia"
    VideoRam    65536
    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "tvcard"
    Driver      "nvidia"
    VideoRam    65536
    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
    Option    "TVStandard" "PAL-I"
    Option    "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
    Option    "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"

    # This apprears to be ignored
    Option "TVOverscan" "0.7"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Screen sections
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of screen sections may be present.  Each describes
# the configuration of a single screen.  A single specific screen section
# may be specified from the X server command line with the "-screen"
# option.
Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen 1"
    Device      "geforce mx4000"
    Monitor     "My LCD monitor
    DefaultDepth 24

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "Screen"