[mythtv-users] Plextor PX-TV402U not recognized by KnoppMythTv

Peter Pauwels digabit at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 4 19:15:09 UTC 2005

>Following this you should see a message like "go7007:
>registering new
>Plextor PX-TV402U-NA" or something.  Since you're
not, >it looks like
>the modules are installed incorrectly.  Try running
>"modprobe go7007-usb" to
>load the modules manually.  -Nathan

I made a lot of progress again ;-)
The "modprobe go7007-usb" did not work, the modules
were not there. I downloaded the official drivers from
Plextor and tried to compile them. At first there was
an error when executing the "make" command but it was
easy to fix by "bz2unzipping" the kernel source. The
drivers compiled well with "make install".
The /var/log/messages after a disconnect and reconnect
looked promising:

kernel: usb 3-1: USB disconnect, address 6
kernel: usb 3-1: new high speed USB device using
ehci_hcd and address 7
usb.agent[4971]:      wis-ezusb: loaded successfully
/etc/hotplug/usb/wis-ezusb: load
/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ezusb/hpi_PX-TV402U.hex for
93b/a004/1 to /proc/bus/usb/003/007
kernel: usb 3-1: USB disconnect, address 7
kernel: usb 3-1: new high speed USB device using
ehci_hcd and address 8
kernel: go7007: registering new Plextor PX-TV402U-EU
kernel: wis-sony-tuner: type set to 200 (Sony
PAL+SECAM (BTF-PG472Z))
usb.agent[5037]:      go7007-usb: loaded successfully
kernel: usbcore: registered new driver go7007

I tried the gorecord app, but it complained it could
not find an OSS audio device. A quick search on the
internet learned me that I had to execute "modprobe
snd_pcm_oss". It loaded !
Again I tried the gorecord application by executing
"gorecord -duration 60 test.avi". It returned the
following output:

/dev/video0 is a GO7007 device at USB address 3-1:1.0
Attempting to determine audio device...using audio
device /dev/dsp1
Using input port Composite
Capturing video at 640x480
VIDIOC_STREAMON: Input/output error

I did a quick google search on the error but the
returned articles such as
"http://www.thedirks.org/v4l2/v4l2dsi.htm" make me
feel dizzy :-o
I did not have a video source available at this time,
but that should still produce a "black video and no
sound" avi file.
The readme file of the Plextor Linux driver package
points out: "the error
messages produced by gorecord and recorded in the
system log (usually in
/var/log/messages) should provide information to help
resolve the problem" but there are no errors reported
in the messages file.

Any hints ?

Peter