[mythtv-users] Third Attempt At Installing MythTV

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Wed May 4 17:52:01 UTC 2005

On 5/3/2005 11:13 PM Joe Barnhart wrote:

>--- Drew Tomlinson <drew at mykitchentable.net> wrote:
>

>>..snip..
>>

>At some point, you just have to ask yourself, "why is everything so
>hard for me, but easier for everyone else?"  I see lots of people who
>have success with KnoppMyth (myself included) and lots who are
>successful with Jarod's guide.  Why fight with half-baked, incompatible
>hardware?  Hardware is so darned cheap these days, just get something
>that WORKS and use either path.  Don't make everything so difficult by
>using hardware that isn't supported.  Get something that works and move
>on with life.

I fight with my "half-baked incompatible hardware" for the same reason
that I continue to drink and smoke.  Because no one likes a quitter!  :)

But seriously, I understand your point.  If my ONLY goal is to get a
working Myth box as fast as possible, then just go with what's easiest.
But I have an additional goal -- To learn HOW stuff works.  I want to
learn HOW because (a) it will increase my skill set and make me a more
desirable employee, and (b) in the spirit of open source software, I'd
like to be able to give back to the community that has given to me.  I
don't want to be a "taker" only.

Cheers,

Drew

Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse