[mythtv-users] Recordings to DVD

Andrew Hogue hogue at cs.yorku.ca
Wed May 4 17:27:43 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I just wanted to hear from people who have been able to transfer their
recordings to DVD successfully with Menus.

I've looked through the archives and mailing lists and have seen random
thoughts from people, some who say they have it working, but not giving
many details on which software they used etc.

I've been trying to use DVDStyler and QDVDAuthor as the gui, which works
fine.  The issue is that after I get the menus created properly and then
author the dvd,... I can't play it properly with xine or ogle.

Playing from the directory structure for other backed-up dvds work
perfectly.  Also the menus show up and are navigable through xine.  Once I
attempt to play the actual video (through menu traversal) the video starts
to play and then pauses for a few seconds, then starts and plays for about
1 second and pauses again... etc...

The actual .vob files work fine when playing them directly with xine and
mplayer.

Basically, the process I use is:
--------------------------------
- record shows using mythtv 0.17 + pvr250 at 720x480 2200 bitrate
- find commercial breaks and flag them
- use latest nuvexport to export MPEG2->MPEG2(cutlist only)  I have also
tried the MPEG->DVD option resulting in the same problem.
- create menu menu.xml file using qdvdauthor
- run dvdauthor -x "menu.xml"

The output is a directory with VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS and a bunch of .vob
files in the appropriate places.

I would really like to hear from anyone who has done something like this
successfully.

Thanks,

-- Andrew