[mythtv-users] Firewire success stories?

Nathan Poznick kraken at wang-fu.org
Wed May 4 13:21:06 UTC 2005

Thus spake Barry Jett:
> I've been using firewire on a Epia 10k on Mandrake 10.1 since .17 came
> out. This is a backend only and has been surprisingly reliable.
> Playback on an Intel 2.8 gig has been more problematic but the .18
> release seems to have solved my Xvmc problems and the high definition
> stuff pulled from firewire is real "eye candy" !

On a side note, my cable provider appears to have recently (with a new
firmware push to the STB, I think) blocked the HD channels from the
firewire output.  When I attempt to record I end up with a few hundred
kb worth of data instead of a few gigs.  Running dvbsnoop on captured
output from an attempt at HD and an SD recording (which still works
fine) seems to indicate that the HD output is scrambled - at least, the
transport_scrambling_control field is set to non-zero values on a lot of
the packets.  If anyone is interested in helping me determine exactly
what they did, I can provide the output of dvbsnoop and/or the short .ts
clips :)

--
Nathan Poznick <kraken at wang-fu.org>

"There's nothing wrong with me. Maybe there's something wrong with the
universe."