[mythtv-users] Burning NUV files to DVD

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Wed May 4 12:19:17 UTC 2005

Ummm....
System requirements:
1)OS: Windows XP or Windows 2000
  The writing tool won't work if installed on a different OS
2)File system (hard disk format): NTFS is required.
  If you are using FAT32,  you will only be able to handle files smaller
than 4 GB.

 	Not quite as interesting for something on linux-land.  I have no
doubt that there are dozens of annoyware where every punk who wrote some
piece of shit winders software wants you to send him $3.99 to keep his
crippleware from emailing death threats to the president (and to unlock
his software).  Most of the windows stuff has a horribly low signal/noise
ratio, often like lots of linux stuff as well.  The difference is you
generally have to register, worry about spyware and viruses, and pay money
to mess with the windows crap.  The "correct" solution is usually to spend
many hundreds of dollars on *THE* software (whatever it is for what you're
doing).  Photoshop for images, TGMPG for video, etc.

</rant off>

 	OK... to partially answer the OP's question.  I'm generally not
flippant about "read the archives," but I've personally answered this
question a number of times.  Bottom line is, "it depends."  If you're
recording via an ivtv-based card, the .NUV is *NOT* a nupplevideo file,
but an MPEG stream with a .nuv filename extension.  Setting the different
recording profiles (DVD, PS, TS, DVD-special, etc) tends to have very
little effect on the resulting file.

 	The bigger question is that of editing the resulting stream
(commercials in particular).  Without editing, a PS ivtv capture should be
authorable directly with dvdauthor (or any frontend that uses it as a
backend like qdvdauthor or dvdstyler).  NAV packets may need to be
inserted into the stream (replex, dvb-mplex, or demux A/V and mplex 'em
back).

 	Cutting out commercials, or basically *any* editing of the stream
(including adding the NAV packets) can be subject to sync problems from
ivtv captures.  If the card glitches on a frame or ten, it fixes the
problem by throwing away audio or video frames and adjusting the relative
timestamp between the two.  Few editing programs (notably avidemux) honor
this, and results in sync that changes throughout the stream.  It cannot
be fixed with a single sync value.  If you unmux the audio and video and
remux them back, you get the same thing... broke-dick sync.

 	Promising alternatives at this point are gopdit and gopchop.  The
latter is older than the former and I thought gopchop was dead.  Just
recently, there's been a flury of activity on the -dev list of gopchop
about some new release.  Looks better, but I haven't played with it enough
to know how well it works.  Both of these try to losslessly cut the MPEG
stream on GOP boundaries so little processing is required.  AFAIK, both
still mangle some stuff, though.

 	Like I said... it's complicated.  Simple dump-to-dvd isn't hard.
Any manipulation requires unbroken tools to make it work all the time.
95% of the time it'll work in a half dozen different ways with the tools
available.  It's that 5% that's a bitch (speaking from experience here).

-Cory