[mythtv-users] Xorg over Hauppauge PVR-350 tv-out woes

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed May 4 02:20:24 UTC 2005

On 5/4/05, Jason Scott Musits <jmusits at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> thought I would consult the experts.  The problem I am having is Xorg's
> output is split into four quadrants.  The upper left and right quadrants
> are Xorg's output but the color is all messed up (the hue and saturation
> are screwy, color is purple and green).  The bottom left and right
> quadrants are just blank.
>
> First off, I will outline what I have working properly and some system
> specs.
>
> 1) The PVR-350 encodes video fine.
> 2) MythTV works flawlessly via normal Xorg output to my monitor.
> 3) MythTV outputs video via the PVR-350's tv-out to a TV flawlessly.
>
> I am running Gentoo Liux with kernel 2.6.11.
>
> # uname -a
> Linux reba 2.6.11-gentoo-r6 #1 Mon May 2 21:16:02 AST 2005 i686 Pentium
> III (Coppermine) GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
>
> # lspci
> 0000:01:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc
> iTVC15 MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
>
> The PVR-350's tv-out is identified as /dev/fb0.
>
> I am using the ivtv-0.2.0_rc3-4 ebuild (ivtv-0.2.0-rc3j) and the
> mythtv-0.16 ebuild (mythtv-0.16).
>
> Here are the relevant lines from my xorg.conf
>
> Section "Module"
>     Load        "dbe"
>     Load        "v4l"
>     SubSection  "extmod"
>         Option    "omit xfree86-dga"
>     EndSubSection
>     Load        "type1"
>     Load        "freetype"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>     Identifier  "Television"
>     HorizSync   30-68
>     VertRefresh 50-120
>     Mode    "720x480"
>         DotClock    34.564
>         HTimings 720 752 840 928
>         VTimings 480 484 488 504
>         Flags "-HSync" "-VSync"
>     EndMode
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier  "Haupauge PVR-350"
>     Driver      "ivtvdev"
>     Option      "ivtv" "/dev/fb0"
>     BusID       "PCI:01:09:0"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>     Identifier  "Haupauge Screen"
>     Device      "Haupauge PVR-350"
>     Monitor     "Television"
>     DefaultDepth    16
>     Subsection "Display"
>         Depth       16
>         FbBpp       32
>         Modes       "720x480"
>         ViewPort    0 0
>     EndSubsection
> EndSection
>
> The following register switches were recommended in another post but
> they did not fix anything for me.
>
> ivtvctl -j reg=0x6c,val=0xfa -d /dev/video16
> ivtvctl -j reg=0x2d,val=0x38 -d /dev/video16
>
> Well I think that's all I have.  If anyone needs more info about
> something please let me know, I'll gladly post it.  Thanks in advance
> for your help and I'm sorry about making such a long post.

Jason,

Assuming the ivtv and ivtv-fb modules are loading properly, try the
following (from my known working xorg.conf for ivtv 0.2.0-rc3f) and
see if anything improves:

Amend the Device section in xorg.conf to the following:

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Haupauge PVR-350"
   Driver      "ivtvdev"
   Option      "fbdev" "/dev/fb0"
   BusID       "1:9:0"
EndSection

and your Screen section to the following:

Section "Screen"
   Identifier  "Haupauge Screen"
   Device      "Haupauge PVR-350"
   Monitor     "Television"
   DefaultDepth    24
   Subsection "Display"
       Depth       24
       FbBpp       32
       Modes       "720x480"
   EndSubsection
EndSection

I'm sure the ivtvdev driver need to be setup for 24bit colour, and
that the options of the ivtv driver are fbdev, and not ivtvdev in this
version.

Please also post the relevant /var/log/Xorg.0.log and
/var/log/messages sections to see where the card is failing to
initialise properly. (in message, there is an obvious ivtv
initialisation log)

Nick