[mythtv-users] NFS Mounted Partitions and AutoExpire

Craig Read craigread at csi.com
Wed May 4 02:03:09 UTC 2005

Doug Heimburger wrote:

>Hi:
>
>I'm running into an interesting issue with AutoExpire that's causing
>me to lose many more shows than I would have expected, including some
>very recent shows.
>
>I have two backends, with the master backend having Tuner 1 and a
>second backend with Tuner 2. The second backend NFS mounts /myth from
>the master backend, resulting in both machines using the same
>directory to store data.
>
>The AutoExpire is set to 10 GB. It appears that what is happening is
>that AutoExpire is running on both backends, but only deleting old
>things from that particular backend. Since 99% of the recordings are
>made by Tuner 1, this means that things recorded by Tuner 2 are being
>dropped very quickly (before I have a chance to watch them).
>
>Some logs from Tuner 1:
>2005-01-13 17:30:53 Running AutoExpire: Want 10 Gigs free but only have 9.
>2005-01-13 17:30:53 AutoExpiring: The Simpsons Wed Dec 15 18:00:00
>2004 1110 MBytes
>
>Meanwhile, on Tuner 2:
>2005-01-12 22:26:26 Running AutoExpire: Want 10 Gigs free but only have 9.
>2005-01-12 22:26:26 AutoExpiring: 24 Mon Jan 10 20:00:00 2005 2222 MBytes
>
>Note that Tuner 1 is removing things that are almost a month ago, but
>Tuner 2 is removing items that are less than two days old. Tragically,
>this caused me to lose three of the first four hours of 24.
>
>Is there something I can change in the configuration to cause Myth to
>realize these two machines are working on a common drive, and that
>thus the AutoExpire process should work across them?
>
>Thanks.
>Doug

I don't think there is a way to make Myth realize that both machines are
using a common drive.  I've in fact had shows deleted when the log files
were filled up with error information.  The drive ran out of space, so
Myth went deleting files on the myth partition (a totally separate
partition).

If one tuner is used more than the other (most likely tuner 1), I would
configure auto-expire on that, and not on tuner 2.  Unless both tuners
are recording all the time (which your scenario indicates that's not the
case), then tuner 1 will have a much greater chance of removing the
oldest show (as it's recording more often).

Another option could be to set each one's auto-expire period
differently.  ie. Tuner 1 may check at a more frequent interval than
Tuner 2 (probably in line with the proportion of how many shows they
record each).  That way, you will auto-expire shows on Tuner 2 when auto
expiring on Tuner 1 doesn't free up the required space (which could
happen over time if Tuner 1 is always doing the expiring).

Craig...