[mythtv-users] soundcard test

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue May 3 17:46:14 UTC 2005

On 5/3/05, iwan <iwan at i-lusion.nl> wrote:
> ?
>
> Hi,
>
> I am busy setting up MythTV and using this guide:
> http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php
>
> I am at the point of configuring the drivers for the soundcard.
>
> I have a soundcard and during my instalation of FC3 the installation allowed
> me to test the sound ...and that worked fine.
> Does this mean my souncard is ready?
> Or do I still need additional drivers?
>
> I am also looking for the command that can show me what soundcard I have and
> what the driver is that is used.
> Can someone post that?

Iwan,

If you have ALSA installed and you can hear sound, you can use the
following commands to get more detailed info on your sound setup:

To see which rpms you have installed for ALSA:

/bin/rpm -qa |grep alsa |sort

To see which drivers/modules are currently in use:

/sbin/lsmod |grep snd

To see which version of ALSA is installed:

cat /proc/asound/version

The /proc/asound tree has much useful info about your sound devices.

To see which hardware ALSA devices are configured:

aplay -l

To see which devices and aliases you can use for sound:

aplay -L

You may need to configure ALSA OSS emulation if you are using a
capture device which needs it, otherwise, ensure your mixer settings
are suitable (can use alsamixer from the console) and give it a whirl.

HTH,
Nick