[mythtv-users] "Cell Microprocessor Simultaneously Decoding 48 MPEG-2 Streams"

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon May 2 22:04:49 UTC 2005

Devan Lippman wrote:

>  I hope I can get one of these as the CPU for my machine!

np.  Cell will be available in early 2006.  Linux will support it in
late 2005.

>  Been a while since I read that explination but I think that its a
>  series of power CPUs arranged similar to a beowulf cluster all on one
>  chip which means it shouldn't be too far off from existing CPUs that
>  linux will run on in the final presentation to the system.
>  Interesting that they have a screenshot of the demo being replayed in
>  windows media player and not the original demo... still I LOVE SMP
>  and this should have the potential to kill current SMP, AMD and INTEL
>  Multicore all in one hit.

And, since Sony and Microsoft are buddy-buddy, we're sure to have
Windows support, so no need for x86 anymore.

Oh.  Wait a minute.  That's right.  Sony and Microsoft hate each other
(which is much of the reason that Sony doesn't want to support the "must
include VC-1 (Windows Media Audio/Video 9) CODEC" HD-DVD specification
and wants to go with the "non-MS CODEC's" Blu-Ray format).  Oh well,
it's a sweet chip for a PS3 (Sony's saying 1000x--that's times, not
percent--the performance of a PS2.  (I'm buying a PS3, but not buying
any games for it.  The only game I'll need is Linux.)

Mike