[mythtv-users] Full system/CPU upgrade and still no DVD

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon May 2 20:20:15 UTC 2005

On 5/2/05, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/2/05, John Harvey <john.p.harvey at btinternet.com> wrote:
> > We are getting closer with the Xv support for the 350 so we might be able to
> > get reasonable performance for these other playback cases.
> > Not sure how quickly but I'm working on it in my spare time and its getting
> > really close now.
> >
> > John

That's absolutely fantastic news John. Thanks for your and others'
continued hard work to help make this a reality.

> Does Xv support then rely on the CPU to do the heavy lifting, or does
> the PVR have the ability to do it?  My VIA C3 is rated at 1.2 ghz but
> is really ~800 mhz.  Is Xv not an option for a that type of system?
> Excuse my ignorance on these issues.

The xv/xvmc driver support takes the burden *off* the CPU and uses the
video card/GPU to do the hard work

The PVR-350 driver currently does not have xv support and as such
cannot do the accelerated resizing/colour space transformations and
other 'stuff' that is needed to be able to play back the other video
types (typically having sizes that do not match that of the 350
framebuffer) at full speed with no jumping/dropping of frames.

Nick