[mythtv-users] ALSA only

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon May 2 20:07:11 UTC 2005

On 5/2/05, Chris Picton <chrisp at tangent.co.za> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 14:29 -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
> > On Monday 02 May 2005 02:26 pm, Chris Picton wrote:
> > > Note the --disable-audio-oss --enable-audio-alsa.  So far it seems to me
> > > that mythbackend will still use the OSS devices /dev/dsp
> > > or /dev/sound/dsp for recording even with --disable-audio-oss.
> > >
> > > Is this true?
> >
> > Yes.  Use ALSA's built in oss emulation.

Isaac,

Thanks for the information that OSS emulation is still needed in
certain circumstances - is it for all bttv cards that need to record
audio separately? I only ask as up until now my capture cards - DVB
and PVR-350 - either encode (350) or dump (DVB) audio with the video
and as I'm running 0.16, only mythmusic needs the OSS emulation from
ALSA (AIUI). (As I have a couple WinTV cards in my spares box, I was
going to setup a slave backend with these and maybe another DVB card.)

If I was to install/upgrade to 0.18 and have no bttv cards recording
in the machine, am I able to be completely OSS free? I recall reading
that mythmusic now supports ALSA.

Thanks

> Thanks
>
> I had compiled my kernel without the oss emulation parts, and was trying
> to get my machine to work 'pure alsa'.
>
> Anyway, another recompile in the pipeline...

Good luck

Nick