[mythtv-users] ALSA only

Chris Picton chrisp at tangent.co.za
Mon May 2 18:26:04 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 16:30 +0100, Nick wrote:

> > Thanks.  However I need to use this for recording, not playback.  I
> > already have ALSA:default in my playback device, and can play previously
> > recorded shows fine.  It is the recoring which is not working.
> >
> > Under the capture card setup, I only have an option of '(None)' for the
> > audio device.  If I change this, it always reverts to '(None)' when I go
> > back to the screen, and audio recording does not work.
> >

> Sorry for misunderstanding - are you using a hardware capture card or
> a v4l framebuffer capture card (is this the NVR entry in your log)? As
> a non-gentoo user, do the compilation options mean that it is
> expecting OSS devices for recording (in which case the OSS compat ALSA
> modules may be useful)? I'll be setting up another machine with a
> couple of WinTV cards (for fun!) in the near future so I may come
> across this problem too if the btaudio drivers do not work with these
> cards.
>
> Nick

NP.  It is using a bttv v4l device.  btaudio does not work.  My full
configure options are:
./configure --prefix=/usr --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu
--mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share
--sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --disable-mmx
--disable-altivec --disable-audio-oss --enable-audio-alsa
--disable-audio-arts --disable-audio-jack --enable-lirc
--disable-joystick-menu --disable-xvmc-vld --disable-directfb
--disable-dvb --disable-dvb-eit --dvb-path=/usr/include
--enable-opengl-vsync --enable-vorbis --enable-xvmc --enable-xv
--enable-x11

Note the --disable-audio-oss --enable-audio-alsa.  So far it seems to me
that mythbackend will still use the OSS devices /dev/dsp
or /dev/sound/dsp for recording even with --disable-audio-oss.

Is this true?

--
Chris Picton <chrisp at tangent.co.za>