[mythtv-users] Full system/CPU upgrade and still no DVD

Scott Harris sharris at synthys.com
Mon May 2 17:13:28 UTC 2005

> Scott,
>
> Which driver you use is dictated by the video card being
> used, and the capabilities of the driver for that card. You
> will not use all of these drivers (that xine supports) with
> all cards. I would suggest using x11 and xshm for
> non-acclerated cards, and xv for accelerated cards (or xvmc
> if the driver supports that).
>
> Having read this thread, I am assuming that your video card
> does not have TV-Out support, or that it does and you are not
> happy with it..
> When I originally installed my system last year after months
> of lurking in the various mailing lists, I tried to get
> everything working over the PVR-350 card. Live TV and
> recorded program played perfectly (in terms of quality, but
> not system speed), but I had problems playing back DVDs and
> virtually all DivX and XVid video files with MythVideo
> because of the missing acceleration in the ivtv X driver..
>
> My other big problem was the the TVout support for my video
> card (integrated Radeon 9100IGP) was nonexistent except for a
> binary hack a determined user had come up with for an old
> version of the driver.
> Couple of weeks back ATI released their latest driver and
> another hack was crafted to again get working TVout for the
> 9100 card, so I gave it a whirl.
>
> I decided to bite the bullet finally and go for *what works today*.
> Using the TVout of the video card and not the PVR-350 (on a
> celeron D 2.4G/512MB system) everything came alive after I
> had moved away from the ivtv non-accelerated X driver.
> Playback of video and seeking within myth is now *much*
> snappier. The system actually responds instantly unlike
> before when seeking ahead in recordings could take 30s or
> more. Mythvideo now plays all videos perfectly (using xv and
> alsa) and no problems yet with mythDVD either.
>
> This has also finally got the WAF sorted out - as a nerd is
> was cool to be able to use the 350 for all output, but as
> >50% of the time the system is used for non
> live/recorded-mythtv is was severely hampering its
> usefulness. Now I have a fully functioning myth box that does
> everything I want it to and no more nagging *why doesn't this
> work* ...
>
> I'm still hoping the ivtv X driver will get xv support at
> some point in the future after Hauppauge reveal more of their
> secrets and will get it going again if this is the case, but
> at the moment I am more happy to have everything working and
> no more stress *trying* to get it to work using solely the 350 output.
>
> The 'third way' is to run mythtv over your video card's
> tv-out and employ the decoder on the 350 for live tv and
> recordings via another connection to your TV\VCR. This will
> then give top notch playback quality of TV through the 350,
> and accelerated playback of everything else via your video card.
>
> HTH,
> Nick

Nick, this is awesome info, thanks.  You are 100% correct that my video
card doesn't not have a TV out connector.  I've been stubbornly trying to
get all output to work from the PVR-350.

So I understand correctly, are you saying in your configuration you watch
all
live tv via the PVR-350 (in and out) and then any recorded programs use the
non-PVR-350 video card?