[mythtv-users] Full system/CPU upgrade and still no DVD

Scott Harris sharris at synthys.com
Mon May 2 15:52:23 UTC 2005

> I purchased a new motherboard/cpu combo upgrading the AMD
> Athlon 1800+ to an Intel P4 2.4GHz.  Spent about 4 hours
> getting it all working again, verifying that I had basic
> MythTV system working before even trying the DVD.  This
> morning I tried the DVD and still the same error with mplayer
>  "YOUR SYSTEM IS TOO SLOW TO PLAY THIS". Errrrr.  I'm using a
> PVR-350 and of course don't have xvideo available, so I've
> got to use -vo x11 on my mplayer.  I'm trying ogle now, and
> while it hasn't completely died like mplayer there are
> obvious frame drops.  CPU load is fairly low, .5-.66, I would
> have expected it to be a lot more considering the cpu is
> having to do all the decoding.
>
> Can anyone offer any recommendations?  I'm so close to having
> an awesome mythtv system, one that even the wife approves of,
> the only thing lacking is DVD playback.

Well I've spent some more time playing with various settings on
Xine and mplayer without much luck.  Xine certainly seems to be
working the best but last night I ripped a dvd and then let Xine
play it and then went to bed.  I awoke to the usual "too many frames"
dropped from Xine.

I'm using this command for xine:
xine -f -I -V xshm --audio-driver alsa --no-logo --no-splash dvd://

One thing that was recommended was to try different -V settings.
>From my xine --help I see I have these installed:

 -V, --video-driver <drv>     Select video driver by id. Available drivers:
                               dxr3 aadxr3 xv opengl caca xshm aa none xxmc
sdl vidix vidixfb fb xvmc

How does one know which is the best choice for video driver aside from just
trying them all?
Is there a matrix some place?

Thanks for everyone's help.