[mythtv-users] No sound in mythtv, but other applications use sound fine

Leo Przybylski przybyls at engr.arizona.edu
Mon May 2 03:43:08 UTC 2005

Kendric Beachey wrote:

>I had pretty much the same problem recently.  A good friend gave me this advice:
>

>You need to look into using the "dmix" functionality of ALSA instead
>of the deprecated (on 2.6 kernels) OSS sound platform.
>
>Look at http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/DigitalSoundHowTo to see about
>setting up an .asoundrc. Mostly you download the one he provides and
>probably change the "device" parts inside it to correspond to your
>digital output. Also uncomment the appropriate line to pick what you
>want as "default".
>
>Then type this in as the sound device in myth "ALSA:mixed-analog".

I did this and used the appropriate tests to make sure I didn't mess
anything up inadvertantly. I did:
% aplay -D mixed-analog $HOME/english.au

I was able to hear it and assumed it worked, but when I use
ALSA:mixed-analog with MythTV, I still get no sound when playing back
recordings or watching live tv.

>To use Myth's volume control with ALSA it's as simple as
>putting "mixed-analog" (as opposed to "ALSA:mixed-analog" in the sound
>device part) in the mixer device setting.  I left "Master" in the
>control part.

I tried to use external mixer settings and doing this. Neither seemed to
help my situation.

>In /etc/mplayer.conf, set "ao=alsa:device=mixed-analog"
>
>If you use arts in KDE (which is the default), tell it to use the
>mixed-analog too.  Go into sound system settings, force it to use
>ALSA, and override the device location and put mixed-analog in there.
>
>Then go ahead and play some Metallica in noatun or Juk while you watch
>TV or a recording.  Listen the sounds mix!
>

>Hope this helps.

Thanks much for the input. I believe it set me in the right path. I hope
I can work this out soon. So frustrating.

If anytone else can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Leo Przybylski