[mythtv-users] Questions and feature requests

Tom E. Craddock Jr. sigtom at sigtom.com
Mon May 2 00:05:50 UTC 2005

Howard Cokl wrote:
> --- "Tom E. Craddock Jr." <sigtom at sigtom.com> wrote:
>
>>>3.  Why can't I change inputs from inside the EPG?
>>
>> The backend knows how to
>>
>>>do this.  If I turn on my TV it defaults to
>>
>>DirecTV, which is what I want,
>>
>>>but if I browse the EPG looking for something to
>>
>>watch or am just flipping
>>
>>>around, it would be really nice if I could select
>>
>>an HDTV channel.
>>
>>HDTV channels are on a different card (pchdtv3k as
>>opposed to the svideo
>>in on the freestyle).   There is no mechanism in
>>place to have the EPG
>>know that it needs to, in effect, press the C button
>>to change cards, or
>>to know that it needs to, in effect, press Y to
>>change inputs.  If youd
>>like to code it up, a patch is always welcome.
>>Plenty of people have
>>asked for this, but apparently its not wanted/needed
>>that bad as its not
>>been worked on.  I just bound a key on my remote to
>>the C and Y keys and
>>use it, not that much harder, one extra keystroke.
>>

>>Tom
>

> I poked around a bit before sending that email, please
> correct me if I have things wrong, but I don't think
> the epg does anything for changing channels other than
> passing a channelid to mythfrontend which makes a
> request to the backend to change the channel.  So
> AFAIK the feature I requested would be for the backend
> to honor a chanid of xXXX wher x is the input and XXX
> is the channel and know what to do if x is not the
> current cardinput.  Having said all of that, which is
> quite probably completely wrong, there is no way that
> I could write a patch to make that happen.  So if
> someone brighter than I can't/won't do it then I'll
> live with it.
> Yes dear I'll be right down to switch the TV for you
> to American Idol during this commercial break, luckily
> I was on the way to the fridge to grab another beer anyway.

I think another reason for this is that, this is a D/PVR and most people
  use it that way, ie record your shows, flagg comms, and then watch a
commercial free show.  Once you relearn how to watch TV (on your
schedule, not the networks) then you wont have the issue you describing.
  When you want to watch a HD show, just go to your Recorded Shows and
queue it up.  Its not wanted/needed that bad, as most people dont watch
Live TV anymore.

Tom