[mythtv-users] Full system/CPU upgrade and still no DVD

Scott catfather at donpoo.net
Sun May 1 18:43:07 UTC 2005

On 5/1/05, Scott Harris <sharris at synthys.com> wrote:
> I purchased a new motherboard/cpu combo upgrading the AMD Athlon
> 1800+ to an Intel P4 2.4GHz.  Spent about 4 hours getting it all
> working again, verifying that I had basic MythTV system working
> before even trying the DVD.  This morning I tried the DVD and still
> the same error with mplayer  "YOUR SYSTEM IS TOO SLOW TO PLAY
> THIS". Errrrr.  I'm using a PVR-350 and of course don't have xvideo
> available, so I've got to use -vo x11 on my mplayer.  I'm trying
> ogle now, and while it hasn't completely died like mplayer there
> are obvious frame drops.  CPU load is fairly low, .5-.66, I would
> have expected it to be a lot more considering the cpu is having to
> do all the decoding.

If you think Fry's is dangerous I would recommend you avoid any Apple
Store OS release party. Having just walked away with a new G5, a new
12" PowerBook, and fresh copies of Tiger I'm wondering where I left
my sanity last Friday. On the other hand, it's been a hell of a fun
geek-out-weekend.

Regarding your play back issue, most likely I would have to say it's
a DMA problem. You've got plenty of CPU to do what you want to and in
fact I use both xine and mplayer with a 16x DVD drive to get flawless
playback.

Another suggestion once you're 100% sure DMA isn't the issue. You
might try also to play a DVD w/o any audio just to see what happens.
Maybe the problem is more an issue with the way you're decoding the
sound which is causing mplayer to drop frames to keep the video and
audio in sync.

Lastly, try using mplayer and playing a DVD from a terminal outside
of MythTV. The nice verbose output of mplayer is great for
understanding the problem. I'm sure no one would mind you pasting
that to the list.

--
Scott <catfather at donpoo.net>
AIM: BlueCame1