[mythtv-users] ALSA only

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun May 1 06:06:19 UTC 2005

On 5/1/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> Chris,
>    Someone told me something about this a few weeks ago. This is from
> memory. Try something like
>
> ALSA:default

This uses the default ALSA device, which is hw:0,0, unless
specifically overridden in the .asoundrc file by another device.

> or
>
> ALSA:hw0,0

I think you need to change that to:

ALSA:hw:0,0

(note the colon between 'hw' and '0,0') This would normally direct
sound to the first device of the first sound card. You can also use:

aplay -l

in order to get a list of hardware playback devices recognised by ALSA, and use:

aplay -L

to get a complete list of all usable ALSA devices (hw, sw, aliases)
for your particular soundcard(s).

As I am still using MythTV 0.16, MythMusic still uses OSS, so I have
installed ALSA with OSS emulation. This is the only time that I use
/dev/dsp or /dev/adsp - everything else is ALSA based and directed out
via the SPDIF.

Nick