[mythtv-users] No sound in mythtv, but other applications use sound fine

przybyls at engr.arizona.edu przybyls at engr.arizona.edu
Sun May 1 04:05:07 UTC 2005

Hello all,

I'm using WinTV Go card bt878 and via ac '97 codec. These are my modules
loaded below:
Module                  Size  Used by
snd_via82xx            22752  0
snd_ac97_codec         75224  1 snd_via82xx
snd_pcm_oss            48800  0
snd_mixer_oss          17728  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                83528  3 snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              21508  1 snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc          7620  2 snd_via82xx,snd_pcm
snd_mpu401_uart         6208  1 snd_via82xx
snd_rawmidi            20032  1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device          6860  1 snd_rawmidi
snd                    46116  9
snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer
_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
ndiswrapper           120372  0
ati_remote             11240  0
via_agp                 7488  1
tuner                  21444  0
tvaudio                21508  0
bttv                  147056  0
video_buf              17476  1 bttv
i2c_algo_bit            8808  1 bttv
btcx_risc               3848  1 bttv
tveeprom               11576  1 bttv
via                    37120  1
drm                    63928  2 via
agpgart                28680  2 via_agp,drm

When I use tvtime, xawtv or mplayer, I get sound just fine. It is only
when I use mythtv that I don't have sound. I don't believe that it has to
do with sound output though. I believe my problem is rather to do with
sound capture.

My sound card is using /dev/dsp. It probably shouldn't, but it is. I think
this is the reason for my problem. When I run mythtv-setup, my capture is
configured to use /dev/dsp which is incorrect since I'm using Television
input.

Does anyone know what to do about this? I want to use ALSA exclusively for
sound, but I wonder if that is possible if my tuner card requires OSS for
capture support.

I've been working with for awhile now and am pretty frustrated. I would
much appreciate whatever help I can get. Thanks much,

Leo Przybylski