[mythtv-users] How well does commercial detection work?

Thu Mar 31 22:03:05 UTC 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Chris Pinkham wrote:

> > > With the new ALL method, the "Strict Commercial Detection" setting wasn't
> > > being used, so I just committed a change to CVS to use it in the blank-frame
> > > detection code to allow reverting to the stricter black-frame detection that was
>
> > Now that I have my system working again, I gave this a try.  My impression
> > is positive.  I believe that this has helped quite a bit.
> >
> > I need to go back and re-flag the shows with "Strict Commercial Detection"
> > turned OFF to make a proper comparison.  I will let you know after I have
> > the time to do that.
>
> Thanks.  The strict code is too strict for some people, possibly because of
> noisy TV signals or the fact that different analog capture cards will not
> have the same exact output when converted to digital.  I turned Strict on
> myself as I think the original code worked better for me on a lot of shows
> as well so I'll see if it helps in my case also.

The "strict" code definitely works better for me.  Not 100% perfect, but I
doubt it can ever be 100%.

When it does make a mistake, it is the "right" kind.  In other words it
shows a commercial, rather than skipping part of the show.  After checking a
dozen shows, it only wanted to skip a small part of the show twice.

Great work.  Thank you.

John