[mythtv-users] Flickering video

andreas.weder at hispeed.ch andreas.weder at hispeed.ch
Thu Mar 31 16:35:46 UTC 2005

Dear mythians,

I'm running mythtv 0.17 on an up-to-date gentoo linux using kernel 2.9.11 and
ivtv 0.2.0_rc3-r3. I use a PVR 350 to catch the TV signal, and am living in PAL
country. My system runs a P4 2.4 GHz on an Intel motherboard featuring
the 865G chipset (i810 graphics).

I'm experiencing flickering video: most of the screen flickers between a white-green-
reddish box (mostly white, some stripes and black boxes in the middle) and the actual
image. The OSD seems to be working fine.

I was previously recording with a LiveTV profile with w480xh480. Then, the
lower 40% of the image was flickering. As soon as I increased the height
to 576 (to match PAL and to maybe stop the flickering), all but the topmost
5-10% of the video started flickering.
I don't see any of this when running mplayer. However, when I run mythfrontend,
watch TV, switch back to the menu and then start mplayer, mplayer shows the
same flickering until I shut down mythfrontend and restart mplayer. The
flickering is then gone again.

Has anybody else experienced this? I had neat video and audio before I
made a number of updates (among them: new kernel, new xorg-x11, new ivtv release)
and some (unimportant) config changes. Unfortunately, I made too many
changes at once to recall them all (ahhh...newbie mistake :-)).

Thanks
Andreas