[mythtv-users] MythMusic and only 2 audio channels - no surround?

David myth at dgreaves.com
Thu Mar 31 10:30:59 UTC 2005

Peter Valdemar Mørch wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have a surround setup, and I really enjoy that for TV and MythVideo.
> But MythMusic also plays music in all 5 speakers, and I'd like for
> MythMusic to just use 2 stereo speakers.
>
> I'm using a Sound Blaster Audigy2 and Alsa.
>
> If I have to choose, I'd rather have TV and Music both use 2 speakers
> than they both use 5, but I'd prefer TV to continue to use 5 speakers
> while Music uses 2.
>
> I use Xine for MythVideo, and the sound setup for Xine is separate
> from myth altogether so I suspect any settings will be local to MythTV
> and MythMusic.
>
> Anybody succeeded doing this that? How?
>
> Peter

Hi Peter,

Check to see if alsamixer has got a '3D' or 'duplicate front' switch set

I doubt it's mythmusic - it'll (probably) just send the stereo signal to
the pcm channel.

Also, another option, on my setup it all goes from the pc (via spdif) to
an external hi-fi surround processor and I have to turn the pro-logic
setting off on the processor to prevent it from trying to decode the
stereo into 'surround sound'.

what hardware setup do you have (ie soundcard -> amplifiers)

David