[mythtv-users] How well does commercial detection work?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Mar 30 23:40:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 02:35:27PM -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 14:30, Tom E. Craddock Jr. wrote:
> I have new found appreciation for mythtv, if it is able to cutout the
> really bad shows and save us from ourselves.  :) :)

No smileys needed, that's exactly what my tvwish program does, at least
on shows in reruns.   Down the road the grand vision is that after
people watch a current show, they will rate it as good or bad, and
that will be sent up to the net, and you will be able to download
the ratings and they will control suggested recordings and even delete
shows that are real turkeys.

For shows in reruns, the program uses lists of all the episodes of a show
with rankings or ratings on them, and you tell it "Record the top 50%" or
similar commands.   Life is too short to watch bad TV.  If the plot
mattered, there are web sites to keep you up to date on every show.
Why waste an hour on a sucky episode if you can learn the plot details
in a couple of minutes and get on to enjoying the good episodes?