[mythtv-users] DCT-6200 w/ FireWire -- Looking for Input..

Big Wave Dave bigwavedave at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 16:44:18 UTC 2005

> > Are there any recommendationso n FireWire PCI cards?  I've been
> > looking at all the usual places, just wanted to avoid any problematic
> > ones.
>
> Heh, NOT the on-board crap on one of my Asus boards, it didn't work worth a
> damn... However, I've had good success with the FireWire port on a
> SoundBlaster Audigy, as well as the card in my master backend right now,
> which is a Western Digital branded card, NEC OrangeLink chipset.

So, it looks like I'll go with the following setup...

Intel 3Ghz w/ HT
512MB DDR RAM
300GB UDMA/100 Drive
NVidia MX4000 (using SVIDEO out)
FireWire Host Adapter

It seems like this will be sufficient from what everyone has been saying.
How fast does HD use up disk space?

Does the "raw" firewire dump provide 1080i or 720p?  I don't need
1080i... I don't even need 720p... but I'm guessing  the 720p will
require less space.

Thanks,
Dave