[mythtv-users] Where to (really) buy an Air2PC -or- should I get a HD-3000?

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Wed Mar 30 01:57:13 UTC 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Seth Heckard wrote:

> I've had a Air2PC on backorder from cyberestore for a while now, and
> just checked on the status to see that it's delayed until May or June.
> Not only that, but it will use a new chipset that probably won't be
> supported initially.

yes, but on the bright side the new chipset will have a 5th generation
tuner :). I actually have three units on back order myself and share your
pain <sigh>...

> Other than cyberestore and the mythtv store listed on froogle, is there
> anywhere to actually get these cards?  A lot of people on this list seem
> to have them, yet nowhere on the internet seems to have them in stock.

they are completely out of stock, the manufacturer simply needs to make
more.

> I have read that the Air2PC card is "better" in the QAM department.  If
> I get impatient and go for a HD-3000, would I be missing anything?

Actually, it appears the original Air2PC had some unresolvable hardware
issues with QAM. They are supposed to be fixed in the new version. I
believe the HD-3000 is QAM capable, but don't know how it compares to the
as yet unavailable new version of them Air2PC.

I originally decided on the Air2PC because it was supposed to have a better
tuner with greater success in the face of marginal signals. On the other
hand, it seems a lot of people are happy with their HD-3000's, so if you
can't wait...

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  henson at csupomona.edu
California State Polytechnic University  |  Pomona CA 91768