[mythtv-users] pcHDTV-3000 installation questions for Fedora Core 3

John Sturgeon mythtv at sturgeonfamily.com
Tue Mar 29 23:53:46 UTC 2005

SacTwoThirtyEight wrote:

> I do not have a /dev/video32 listed in my dev folder.  Not sure what
> needs to link to it ... (video4linux ?  video0 ? )
>
> I also tried copying the .rules and .permissions as per Adam Gianola's
> comments, with a restart and still same signal strength of 000.
>

> */"Villalovos, John L" <john.l.villalovos at intel.com>/* wrote:
>
>     SacTwoThirtyEight wrote:
>     > I then try and run the 'dtvsignal /dev/video0 xx' or 'dtvsignal
>     > /dev/video4linux xx' (where xx is a frequency assignment for dtv
>     > stations in my area - I do not know which to link to /dev/dtv ). I
>     > then get the 000 for the signal strength. I'm sort of lost on what
>     > other options to try next. I'm not even sure if I've screwed things
>     > up by trying both versions of the pcHDTV software from the CD
>     and the
>     > website. I have seen other web sites that have "install" install
>     > instructions but they are either not for FC3 or 2.6.10 or are so
>     > vague, this poor midnewbie can't quite comprehend them. I'd like to
>     > thank everyone ahead of time ... this i! s a great forum with
>     wonderful
>     > experts with vast amounts of knowledge.
>
>     Take this with a grain of salt since I have NOT yet got mine working.
>
>     But the HDTV signal should be on /dev/video32 from what I have read.
>
>     Please correct me if I am wrong on this.
>
>     John

The new (v2.0) pcHDTV drivers do not create the /dev/video32 (with
major=81 and minor=32) any longer, they now create the /dev/video1
(major=81, minor=1).  You will find this particularly challenging when
trying to add the card in MythTV as it looks for major=81 and
minor=32... My recommendation is to go with the cx88-dvb driver.

--
John Sturgeon <><
http://www.sturgeonfamily.com/mythtv.php