[mythtv-users] DVD Authoring and MythTV Archive howto (writing one...)

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Tue Mar 29 21:06:27 UTC 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Mario L wrote:

> Cory,
>
> I have been looking at a great way to get my recordings to looks a lot
> better after transcode , but havent found anything acceptable.
> Instead I have had to just deal with the size of the recordings thrown
> at me from my PVR250 and deal.  Do you just transcode as a job right
> from myth to 352x480, or do you have a process you follow after your
> recordings are all done?

 	If you search the list, you'll find previous posts on what I've
done.  Basically, if there aren't any A/V sync glitches in the capture
(e.g. capturing from tape), I use avidemux2 directly.  Basically:

- Capture at 640x480, 5Mbps or so
- Edit commercials from within avidemux
- Choose HQ3D denoise, 1/2 D1 resolution, 2-pass transcoding of video
(roughly 3-4 hours/hour show on 2.4GHz machine)
- Remux .m2v audio
- qdvdauthor for fancy menus
- dvdauthor to master
- mkisofs to image
- growisofs to burn

 	If the sync is broken, there's a workaround.  Basically, it
involves using 'mencoder' to encapsulate the MPEG2 stream into an .avi.
Then use "rebuild b-frames" from within avidemux to resync A/V as an
"AVI."  Then transcode as normal.  Avidemux can't deal with changing A/V
sync within a capture.

  -Cory