[mythtv-users] pcHDTV-3000 installation questions for Fedora Core 3

SacTwoThirtyEight sac238 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 29 19:29:31 UTC 2005

First, I will admit ? I am a midnewbie.  I?ve done quite a bit of research before starting this project and up until this point have worked my way through plenty of obstacles.  The problem I have been unable to shake now though is trying to get the pcHDTV-3000 to work with FC3 and kernel 2.6.10_1.700_FC3smp.  This is the hardware I currently have on the machine:

            Asus P5AD2 Premium Motherboard

            Pentium 540 3.2GHz LGA775

            1GB of DDR2 RAM

            Gigabyte nVidia 6600GT RT pci-16x

            pcHDTV-3000

I have been following Jarod?s Guide fairly close so far (with some exceptions where I had to use ?alternative? means to get things to work ? by the way, GREAT guide Jarod, you da bomb).  After installing the pcHDTV drivers, I go to check the dtvsignal for the pcHDTV, I get 000 as my strength.  I have a Terk Off-Air HDTV antenna and live less than 14 miles from where all the broadcasts originate with a clear line-of-sight.  I?ve done 2 different types of setup to try and get this working (drivers from the CD and new drivers from pcHDTV for FC3).

a)  Go to the directory where the downloads are saved and run ?make? and ?make install?  [no errors]

b)  ?make udev?

c)  modprobe cx88-dvb

d)  dmesg [no errors]

I then try and run the ?dtvsignal /dev/video0 xx? or ?dtvsignal /dev/video4linux xx? (where xx is a frequency assignment for dtv stations in my area ? I do not know which to link to /dev/dtv ).  I then get the 000 for the signal strength.  I?m sort of lost on what other options to try next.  I?m not even sure if I?ve screwed things up by trying both versions of the pcHDTV software from the CD and the website.   I have seen other web sites that have ?install? install instructions but they are either not for FC3 or 2.6.10 or are so vague, this poor midnewbie can?t quite comprehend them.  I?d like to thank everyone ahead of time ? this is a great forum with wonderful experts with vast amounts of knowledge.

Thanks

Bryan W