[mythtv-users] Re: Need advice with xorg.conf setup

Zach uid000 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 12:08:31 UTC 2005

Larry

If you just use the reference nvidia xorg.conf file (I think it comes
with the nvidia drivers), and modify it should be really simple.  I
followed the instructions in the readme:
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-6629/README.txt
APPENDIX J covers tv-out. Then you can just nvidia-settings to adjust
for overscan and flicker filtering, etc (vs trying to tweak the
xorg.conf).  After trying for hours to adapt other people's xorg.conf
files with no luck and sometimes non-functioning x configurations, I
finally broke down and read the readme, and it was up and going in
about five minutes.

For the record though, twinview works quite nicely, and is possibly
even easier to set up than straight tv-out.  Even if you're not using
vga out, it's nice to have enabled in case you need to hook up a
monitor to work on the box.  There's nothing more frustrating than
trying to troubleshoot the box through a blurry svideo or composite tv
connection.  It's easy to implement by following the instructions in
the readme.  APPENDIX I supercedes APPENDIX J when using twinview.
Also complaints I've read about twinview and refresh rates on the
second monitor don't seem to apply because the driver allows you to
cusomize individual settings for the second monitor.

good luck
Zach