[mythtv-users] A happy outcome, so far

M.K. Smith hownowbrowncow at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 04:14:02 UTC 2005

The situation:  Mythbox running 0.16 on top of FC2, Shuttle SN41G2,
NVidia S-Video output, Hauppauge PVR-250, generic universal remote
w/LIRC.  Two days ago, I stopped getting sound in recordings.
Everything on the Mythbox looked fine, and I poked around a bit but
couldn't find anything wrong!  I took a deep breath, crossed my
fingers and decided to go for broke.

One apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade later, the whole shooting
match was updated to Myth 0.17 with a slew of Fedora updates.  I
haven't gotten the NVidia drivers working with the new kernel so I'm
using the older one, but the Myth upgrade proceeded seemingly without
a hitch (KNOCK WOOD!).  All recordings present & accounted for, new
recordings coming in on schedule.

The new MythWeb is spiffy, and I'm using strict commercial detection
with "All" which I've come to believe kind of defeats the purpose
there, so I may drop back from strict.  Otherwise, it would seem that
I have come through in good shape.  Good thing, too, considering that
my wife would be EXTREMELY annoyed should the Mythbox break for very
long.  Especially if we had to watch "Desperate Housewives" with
commercials.

Oh, and the original sound problem?  My toddler son had switched the
receiver -- for that input ONLY -- to digital sound, which I am not
using.  HAR!