[mythtv-users] MythTV .18 impending release? If so, what's in it?

Ivor Hewitt ivor at ivor.org
Mon Mar 28 08:02:12 UTC 2005

On Monday 28 Mar 2005 08:38, Maverick wrote:
> > Cobblers. There's no restriction  on -dev users.... as you'll notice by
> > the amount of complete crap that gets posted there.
>
> Yup, I requested and got the confirmation email this time. It musta
> gotten lost before...

Ah well such is life.

> I'm talking about 3'rd party apps. I've seen several things posted on
> -users that people are like announcing, but there doesn't seem to be
> any history of them having been working on it.
>
> One such example I ran into is: http://mythextra.napsi.net/

Hokay. That's someone's independent project that they're working on outside
the myth tree.... I thought you were talking about features incorporated into
mythtv.
They've worked on something in their own and announced it on users.
What's the problem there? That has nothing to do with the mythtv development
process.

> In any case, all the projects on that page (mythmail available under
> download) are not linked from any of the mythtv.org pages. I realize
> it's not "usable" in the sense of being in CVS, but it would be really
> cool if there where a section on mythtv.org, like here:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=Downloads

There's a wiki for that sort of unrelated link. Expecting mythtv to link to
everyone and his dog's project is unrealistic.
If someone wants to work on something on their own then announce it. Fine. If
someone wants to work on something and get help they can announce their
intention.
If someone wants to work on something and announce changes on myth-dev they
can.

> It could have links to different modules "in development" or
> "unfinished", so we could at least find them without having to troll
> -dev -users, google, etc. The only reason I found out about mythMail
> is because I typed 'mythmail' in google... My lucky day! :)

Oh the pain. Having to trawl through google or the archives for
information. :-)

> Who knows, maybe if people knew about some of the addon's, they'd be
> more willing to help develop them.

Perhaps the people working on the addon's don't want anyone else working on
them.

Cheers,

--
Ivor