[mythtv-users] How well does commercial detection work?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Mar 27 20:49:07 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-27 at 14:04, Tom E. Craddock Jr. wrote:
> SpikeyGG wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I'm wondering how well everyone else's commercial detection is working?
> > From what I've seen it seems like it gives me the basic jist of where a
> > commercial IS and I go in and set the breakpoints to where the
> > commercial really starts and stops.  However, I noticed from a recent
> > recording of American Idol the breaks get further and further apart as
> > the program continues.  Here's what I've found:
> > Using default, blank frame detection.
> > Does anyone have the commercial detection working flawlessly (or is that
> > not possible)?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Greg
> >

> Well, this is still pre 1.0 software.  I dont think flawless is going to
> happen any time soon.  Pretty damn well? Yup, Ive got that.  Only a
> couple HD shows get screwy, Alias and Lost off the top of my head.  SD
> shows are spot on except for maybe a sec or two.  I have to say tho,
> about 90-95% of the time, commflagg works fine for me using the Blank
> Frame Detection.

I have it set to use all detection modes.  I can not say it is 100% but
it is very very close.  With only a few exceptions about the only
commercials it seems to miss consistently are those sponsor bits usually
at the end of a show that appear to be part of the actual show just
before it rolls into the real commercials.

All in all I have been very pleased with the picture quality and
especially the commercial skipping feature.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

No guts, no glory.