[mythtv-users] MythTV w/Digital Cox Service ?

Richard Sears sr22flyboy at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 19:59:23 UTC 2005

Hi Brad,

Actually the Dual MP system I had laying around doing nothing, so I am
building it to be a dedicated backend system. I have 4 300GB Raptor
drives on an LSI SATA RAID controller on the system, and the plan is
to have two or three front end systems all talking to the backend
system. So the Dual system will be up in my office, so noise is not a
factor.

I got the pvr-350 and the PCHDTC thinking that I needed them, but it
sounds like I can use the firewire for everything that I need.

When using the firewire, I am assuming that I would need a separate
'digital' box and separate firewire input for each system that wanted
to watch 'live' tv. Is that correct..?

On Friday I get the cable system installed. I already questioned them
about the digital box, and they would not give me much information on
it, who made it or anything. Do you think I should call and make sure
they are brining the right unit out..?

When using firewire, does audio come over it as well or do I need a
separate card for audio.

I have an Audigy 2 sound card in my system now and my Gentoo install
sees the card and the firewire port no problem, so I am very excited
to give this a try.

I have everything emerged, now I have to work on getting it (mysql,
etc) all set up and running!!

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 11:29:23 -0800, Brad Templeton
<brad+myth at templetons.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 05:44:59AM -0500, Tom E. Craddock Jr. wrote:
> > >So here I am in the middle of my 1.2TB,  Dual Athlon MythTV monster
> > >server build thinking its going to be a bummer to have to get just
> > >regular cable and nothing else on my mythtv system.
>
> Dual Athlon?  That seems like a whole lot of overkill (and a lot of
> heat and fan noise.)  You might want to scale it back.
>

> > >I can add an off-the-air HDTV antenna as I have ordered the PCHDTV
> > >card and a PVR-350 (all of the 250's were out of  stock) but I would
> > >reall like everything.
>
> You couldn't find a 150 or 250 anywhere, not even ebay?  Since you plan
> HD, you won't be using the 350's TV out in all probability, so it's
> just wasted.  If there were a way to tell myth, use the 350 for analog
> recordings and the video card for digital, you could switch inputs on
> your TV but you would have to code that.
> > >
> > >I figured if anyone had figured this out, someone here has done it.
> > >
> > >So, my question - Is there some way to hook up the Cox digital box to
> > >the MythTV backend so that I can use the Myth system to control the
> > >digital box and output it to Myth so it can be recorded, played,
> > >etc..? Or am I stuck with simple analog cable with my myth system..?
> > >Is there a 'digital cable' tuner card made by anyone, or is it
> > >specific to each cable company..? I know my TV has an input for
> > >digital cable rf, but not sure who it works with (if anyone). It also
> > >has an input for an HDTV card from the cable company.
>
> Your pc-HDTV-3000 can tune digital cable when it's unencrypted.  Not
> HBO, but many of your local HD channels will be tunable that way, as
> well as sometimes some others.  That's the law.
>
> The law also lets you demand a digital cable box with ieee1394 jacks
> on it (known as firewire or dtvlink).   Be sure to insist on that.  Then
> you can get digital out of that box.

Richard J. Sears
Vice President
American Internet Services
rsears at adnc.com
sr22flyboy at gmail.com
http://www.adnc.com
858.576.4272 - Phone
858.427.2401 - Fax
INOC-DBA - 6130

I fly because it releases my mind
from the tyranny of petty things . .

"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've
never been hurt and dance like you do when nobody's
watching."