[mythtv-users] Transcode makes files bigger

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Mar 26 17:37:45 UTC 2005

On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 10:44:10AM -0500, Bill Smith wrote:
> Any idea why enabling transcode from rtjpeg to mpeg 4 would result in
> files 10x bigger than the original rtjpeg files? I recorded The Screen
> Savers and the 1 hour show is 25 GB after transcoding. I had this
> problem and disabled transcoding... but now I'm trying to figure out the
> issue as I'm only getting 40 hours on my 120 GB drive.

If I correctly understand the current state of this problem,
mythtranscode, as late as 0.17, but fixed somewhere in CVS (maybe) has
a problem where it switches to outputting RAW mode frames, due to
system load during the transcode.  Captain Murdoch (from IRC) was
chasing this around, and I believe he said he found it, though I don't
know whether the patch was committed yet or not.

As you can guess, we've had that problem here, as well.

I'm *fairly* sure that this will be fixed, for those few people who
seem to get bitten by it, in the upcoming 0.18, but I'll double check.

Cheers,
-- jra

      If you can read this... thank a system adminstrator.  Or two.  --me