[mythtv-users] Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe audio (Realtek chipset?) software mixing HDTV SPDIF

Vincent Parrett vincent at vsoft-tech.com.au
Sat Mar 26 04:22:45 UTC 2005

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:01:48 -0800 (PST), Paul B. Henson wrote:
>=A0I read that utilizing software mixing might result in audio delays and=
 lack
>=A0of synchronization between audio/video? Does anyone have any experience
>=A0with this motherboard or similar audio chip sets and their suitability=
 for
>=A0use in Mythtv front ends in particular HD based?

I'm currently struggling with this motherboard & video/audio sync. I'm=
 running Myth CVS and the latest Alsa and have 3 DNTV Live DVB-T cards=
 installed, 1G ram, sata driver, amd 64 3200+ cpu. I have yet to get as far=
 as using the spdif outputs, although that is the ultimate plan (connecting=
 to my amp). I've spent weeks on this and have yet to get a decent clue to=
 the problem. During playback of recordings, a/v sync is fine, however with=
 live tv, the sync is fine when I first go in, but as soon as I change=
 channels, the audio lags behind the video usually by around 1/4 sec.. but=
 sometimes as much as 2 seconds. Exiting livetv and entering it again will=
 correct the problem. I'm also seeing lots of pre-buffering pauses etc in=
 the logs, I've tried all sorts of settings in myth, all of which just made=
 things worse.

Since the mb only has 3 pci slots, I'm loath to go down the soundcard route=
 (being able to watch tv while recording 2 programs or record 3 at once is a=
 nice feature!).

FWIW, I'm running Ubuntu (hoary pre-release), a custom compiled 2.6.10=
 kernel (with patches to enable the dntvlive cards), NVidia 6600GT PCIE=
 video card with the ltest nvidia drivers (patched) (not using Xvmc, that=
 seems to make myth very unstable and the osd loses all color).

Also, I had a lot more problems with this motherboard when I first built the=
 machine, the original bios was completely useless.. failing to boot half=
 the time the latest bios seems solid though.

I'm a linux noobie.. it's been a steep learning curve but I'm getting=
 there!

Regards

Vincent Parrett

VSoft Technologies Pty Ltd
http://www.finalbuilder.com
Blog: http://blogs.finalbuilder.com/vincent
Automate your Software builds with FinalBuilder.