[mythtv-users] HDTV Streaming over Wireless + Caching

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Sat Mar 26 02:02:43 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 04:10:38PM -0800, Richard J. Sears wrote:
> Is there any way to deal with this by caching to the frontend to help
> this problem out...?
>
> So you hit the "play" button and it starts a 3 to 5 minute caching
> process (which should be enough) and then starts playing.
>
> Wireless is the only way for me to get there.
>
> What about "non-HD" cable channels..what is the requirement there..?

Well, you could pull the following trick.  If the frontend magically
finds a copy of the file on the local machine, it plays that instead of
trying to pull it from the backend over the net.

So you could fire up a task on the frontend to start copying the file from
the backend with rsync, for example (might want to use the rsync protocol instead
of ssh) and start the actual playing shortly thereafter.  As long as your
average wireless throughput is sufficient, you will not suffer from the
temporary dropouts.

You would have to remember to delete locally etc.