[mythtv-users] Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe audio (Realtek chipset?) software mixing HDTV SPDIF

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Sat Mar 26 03:01:48 UTC 2005

I'm considering an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard for an HD capable front
end. After some research, I'm wondering whether I should get an ancillary
PCI soundcard rather than trying to utilize the onboard sound (which
appears to be based on a Realtek chipset). The onboard sound system
includes both optical and coax SPDIF outputs (I have an Onkyo receiver the
frontend will be connected to), however reports of correct functionality
of this chipset under Linux/alsa vary. Also, the audio chipset does not
support hardware mixing and would require use of the alsa software mixing
interface.

I read that utilizing software mixing might result in audio delays and lack
of synchronization between audio/video? Does anyone have any experience
with this motherboard or similar audio chip sets and their suitability for
use in Mythtv front ends in particular HD based?

It looks like in the past the Sound Blaster live/audigy was often
recommended? Is that still a good choice for SPDIF output if the onboard
sound will be insufficient?

Thanks much...

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  henson at csupomona.edu
California State Polytechnic University  |  Pomona CA 91768