[mythtv-users] Mostly OT: Pundit PSU fan died

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Sat Mar 26 02:40:21 UTC 2005

Bear in mind I don't have a Pundit, however if its a standard ATX power
supply connector then pretty much any standard ATX power supply should
work to power it.  If it has some proprietary connectors on it then
probably not.

It might not be a bad idea to take a wire and put a couple ring
connectors on it and attach one to the bare case of the power supply and
another where the original power supply was.  This wire should probably
be routed with the rest of the bundle with nylon ties or something to
avoid accidentally creating an open loop to transmit or receive signals.

There is also the fact that a systems electromagnetic compliance is
likely tested with the factory power supply and case closed.  The
missing supply might cause it to emit a bit more.  The wire bundle
itself going inside is a likely source for leakage.  Is any of that a
problem?  Probably not, but well there are always studies about EM
exposure.

At any rate I had a little ASUS box awhile back from Newegg with a
proprietary supply that died, and I do remember running it for a few
minutes with a regular supply to troubleshoot it.  Unfortunately I
needed it for a demo, and not in rigged form and it was a refurbished
item which Newegg doesn't allow returns on and I did not have time to
risk another flaky one.  At any rate Newegg agreed to RMA it for the
full value if I bought a new item then.  Thats where I got my second
shuttle box.  It was about $100 more though.

I have no idea as to brick power supplies though.

On Fri, 2005-03-25 at 17:08 -0800, emory wrote:
> Nick-
>
> When you quoted $50 for a replacement PSU, was that from Hipro or
> ASUS?  I've been looking into getting a replacement PSU for my
> Pundit-R because it's too noisy, but it's hard to find a PSU that fits
> in the Pundit's 8 x 12 x 12 cm PSU compartment.
>
> My PSU is from Delta Electronics. I'm wondering if the Hipro ones are
> any better.  Ideally, I would like something that's more efficient, as
> the Delta PSU's are rated pretty low and heat up readily. I've read
> rumors that ASUS might have switched PSU suppliers around the same
> time that people started complaining that the Pundit was not
> "virtually silent" as advertised.
>
> I was also thinking about using an external PSU, kind of like you are
> doing.  Is that actually a safe thing to do?  Can one buy a
> laptop-like external power supply inteded for such use on desktops?
>
> - emory
>

> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:55:46 -0500, Will Dormann <wd at pobox.com> wrote:
> > Nick wrote:
> > > Very sorry to hear that. Was yours a Pundit or Pundit-R system? Did
> > > you have lm_sensors running at the time? Were both the CPU and PSU
> > > afffected or just the CPU?
> >
> > It was just the PSU fan on a Pundit AB-P 2600 system.   The PSU is a
> > Hipro 200W unit.  The 80x20mm fan has only two leads, so I don't think
> > it has any sort of monitoring capabilities.  I tried lm_sensors at some
> > point, but upon loading the module, the CPU fan goes to high speed
> > (negating any benefit of Q-fan).   So I scrapped that idea.   I'm not
> > sure if any PSU temperature info would have been available to lm_sensors
> > in the first place, though.
> >
> > CPU fan is fine.   I've currently got a full size PSU hooked up to it.
> > Everything works fine.   It just looks ugly now, 'cause the PSU is
> > outside of the case!   :)
> >

> > -WD

Robert Denier (denier at umr.edu)
PhD Electrical Engineering (May 2005)