[mythtv-users] Choosing between nVidia 5200/5500/5700LE??

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Mar 25 19:43:22 UTC 2005

On Friday 25 March 2005 11:38, Matthew K. Lee wrote:
> I'm considering purchasing a video card for use on a mythtv system.  I
> did have it narrowed down to the 5500 or the 5700LE, but recently I've
> seen a lot of recommendations for the 5200.  I had also considered
> using the PVR-350 output, but I definitely want to play DVD.
>
> Is there any reason that I should avoid the 5500 or the 5700 LE?
>
> Other opinions/recommendations are surely welcome as well.

A 5200 is more than enough for a Myth box (including HDTV), so there's really
not a whole lot of reason to spend the extra money on a 5500 or 5700. The
5200 being a lower clock speed/memory speed/etc, means they're often quieter,
as they require less cooling. My 5200 has only a heat sink, so its not adding
any noise pollution, and it handles HDTV beautifully.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...