[mythtv-users] Mostly OT: Pundit PSU fan died

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 19:14:37 UTC 2005

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:54:30 -0500, Will Dormann <wd at pobox.com> wrote:
> There seem to be a few Pundit users here, so I figured I'd share my
> experience.
>
> A few days ago my PSU fan started making a little noise, but then it
> went away.   I didn't really look into the problem further.  (big mistake).
>
> As it turns out, the CPU fan had seized, and finally just cooked itself.
>    There was no other damage to the system, but the PSU needs to be
> replaced.   (looks like it's about $50 to replace)
>
> So if you've got a Pundit, make sure the PSU fan is working!  :)
>
> -WD

Will,

Very sorry to hear that. Was yours a Pundit or Pundit-R system? Did
you have lm_sensors running at the time? Were both the CPU and PSU
afffected or just the CPU?

At least with the Pundit-R system, they are sold a virtually silent
but I find that statement quite far from the truth. I find that the
CPU fan (after essential BIOS upgrade to slow Q-fan down) is still
quite audible and even small fluctuations in its speed are very
audible.

Cheers,
Nick