[mythtv-users] Gentoo USE Flags for Backend Only System

Richard J. Sears rsears at americanIS.net
Fri Mar 25 13:53:23 UTC 2005

I figured I would break this topic out into a new thread.

David Morrison said:

-----------------------SNIP---------------------

Here's mine too so you can compare which flags to use or pull out. Note
that this is my everyday box too so there's a lot of other flags in here
related to other things I use. Also, my box is an AMD Athlon so you
might want to change the 3dnow and 3dnonoex flags if your's is an Intel.

USE="nuvexport ffmpeg lirc dvb divx4linux matroska dvdread theora
truetype encode svga xvid divx gnome gtk kde qt mysql dvd cdr dvdr alsa
acpi cups dga encode gphoto2 mpeg oggvorbis samba x86 -nls mmx sse 3dnow
3dnowex mmxext v4l v4l2 network"

Also, here's my package.keywords file:
dave at office Python-CSV $ cat /etc/portage/package.keywords
media-tv/mythtv ~x86
media-tv/linuxtv-dvb ~x86
media-plugins/mythweather ~x86
media-plugins/mythvideo ~x86
media-plugins/mythgallery ~x86
media-plugins/mythmusic ~x86
www-apps/mythweb ~x86
media-libs/a52dec ~x86
media-video/ffmpeg ~x86

And my package.unmask

dave at office Python-CSV $ cat /etc/portage/package.unmask
>=media-libs/a52dec-0.7.4-r4

I needed the ~x86 versions of a52dec and ffmpeg in order to make
nuvexport work, so if you won't be using those you can remove them.

------------SNIP---------------------

My intention is to build a dedicated backend system to handle the
Mythbackend stuff, and a dedicated (several actually) frontend system
that will be connected to my TVs. The backen will have the HD3000 and
several PVR-250 cards on a Dual Athlon system with 1GB RAM and 4 x 300GB
Maxtor SATA Drives. Video card is nothing special.

From reading the threads, it appears that I do not need X on my backend
system as I can just ssh into the box and manage everything like that.
Is this correct..? Is they any benefits to installing X on the backend
system other than to have a GUI to more around in..?

Second, do I need to install all of the plugins (like mythweather,
mythvideo, etc) on the backend, or on the frontend (or on both)..?

Is there a breakdown of what needs to be installed on a 'backend only'
system and then on a 'frontend only' system, or do you install all of ti
and configure them different..?

Thanks :-)

Richard J. Sears
Vice President
American Internet Services
rsears at adnc.com
http://www.adnc.com
858.576.4272 - Phone
858.427.2401 - Fax
INOC-DBA - 6130

I fly because it releases my mind
from the tyranny of petty things . .

"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've
never been hurt and dance like you do when nobody's
watching."